Recipe: Burnt Sugar and Coconut Ice Cream Toast
Here's a delicious recipe for burnt sugar and coconut ice cream toast
This recipe comes from Toast The Cookbook by Raquel Pelzel (Phaidon, £9.72)
“Welcome to your new addiction: buttered, toasted bread, dunked in lemongrass syrup, dipped in sugar, singed in butter until the sugar shellacs itself to the bread like a sweet veneer, and then topped with ice cream and toasted coconut. Think of it as a sundae-French toast mash-up with the glistening sugar topcoat of a crème brûlée to finish.”
For the lemongrass syrup
2 fresh lemongrass stalks
½ cup (100 g) sugar
For the toast
½ cup (50 g) unsweetened (desiccated) coconut flakes or shredded coconut
3 tablespoons sugar
Four ¾-inch (2 cm) thick slices country-style bread or brioche
3 tablespoons (45 g) unsalted butter, softened
1 pint (about 500 ml) coconut ice cream
- Make the lemongrass syrup: Place the lemongrass on a cutting (chopping) board and cut away the root end and the tops. Peel away the thick and dry outer layers to expose the tender reed. Using the back of a chef’s knife smash the lemongrass, then cut the reed crosswise into several 3-inch (7.5 cm) lengths (you should smell the essential oils).
- In a small saucepan, combine the smashed lemongrass with the sugar and ½ cup (120 ml) water. Bring to a simmer over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until the sugar is dissolved. Simmer for 4 minutes to infuse the syrup with lemongrass. Remove from the heat and set aside to cool; remove and discard the lemongrass. (The syrup can be made a few weeks ahead and refrigerated.)
- Make the toast: Preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C/Gas Mark 4). Spread the coconut on a rimmed baking sheet and toast in the oven, stirring occasionally, until golden around the edges, 6–8 minutes. Transfer to a plate and set aside.
- Spread the bread slices with the butter. Toast according to the frying pan method on page 8, using a large nonstick skillet. Transfer the toast to a plate but keep the skillet at the ready.
- Pour the lemongrass syrup into a wide and shallow bowl. Spread the sugar out on a medium plate. Dip one side of each piece of toast first in the lemongrass syrup for a few seconds to saturate. Transfer the toast, syrup-side down, to the plate with the sugar, and press down on the bread to get a nice sugar coating. Return the toast to the skillet, sugared-side down. Repeat with the remaining toast. Cook over medium heat until the sugared side is browned and caramelized, about 2 minutes.
- Divide the toast among 4 plates, sugared-side up. To serve, top with 1 or 2 scoops of ice cream, a drizzle of lemongrass syrup, and a sprinkle of toasted coconut.