Level of difficulty
Time required to make one tassel: 2 mins
Time required to customize the bag: 1½ hrs
Straw shopper bag
3 skeins of yellow stranded embroidery yarn
18 jump rings in silver metal
Yellow spray paint
To make the tassels
1. Cut a piece of cardboard measuring 3 × 4cm.
2. Make a slit at the top and slide one end of the yellow yarn into it, to hold it in place.
3. Wrap the yarn around the cardboard 10 times.
4. Slide a strand of yarn between the looped yarn and the cardboard. Tie it firmly at one end to form the top.
5. Fix a jump ring over the tie.
6. Cut through the yarn at the opposite end to the tie and let it hang down.
7. Wrap a strand of yarn around the tassel several times, 1cm down from the top. Tie it firmly.
8. Make 17 more tassels in the same way.
9. Dip the tassels in warm water for 30 secs. Use a comb to smooth the strands. Leave to dry or use a hairdryer.
To customise the basket
1. Stick a line of masking tape around the bag, 6 cm up from the bottom.
2. Spray paint the area below the tape, using a back-and-forth motion.
3. When the paint is dry, peel off the tape. Sew the tassels onto the bag in 4 staggered rows of 5, 4, 5 and 4. Stitch through the jump rings and leave 7cm gaps between tassels.
Imagine if the gluten-free idea kicked in earlier, and had m ...